Thursday, February 26, 2004

Unlike some of my more talented friends like Anant, Koushik, Prerna, Swapna, and a load of others, I am not a very creative person. I admire creativity, I like being creative to the best of my abilities, but unfortunately I am not very good at it. I am also not very good at singing, playing football, and a host of other stuff. But that is beside the point. Being not-so-creative, when on some occasions, I do manage to create something, I am so delighted and impressed with my own work, that I can't stop showing it off to everyone.

Last week, we (me, Anant, Sumeet, Prerna and Ashish) had gone to the bookstore, Crossroads, near Residency road. Prerna had bought a set of drawing / painting equipment (a drawing book, pencils, erasers, paints and brush, and the whole lot) and a pair of fancy scissors. Coming back, she started making a card, which was later given to Tonmoy. Seeing her sketching and painting, all my creative spirits sort-of welled up inside me, and I felt this inexplicable urge to draw. So when we went over to spend the day at Prerna's this saturday, I started sketching for Souradeep's birthday card.

Ultimately, I sketched two cards. I liked the way the first one turned out. The second one was drawn purely from imagination, and was not up to the mark. I didn't want to try and paint the cards also, since I didn't want to spoil my sketches. So Prerna painted them. She did a really good job, I think. So now we have formed this new partnership for making birthday cards, me doing the sketches, and Prerna painting.

I actually enjoyed sketching this weekend. And I am looking forward to doing it again. But I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much, had I been sketching on my own in my house. The fact that all of us were there, each doing something on his or her own, with occasional remarks, and jokes cracked all added up to make the experience nice. Being not-so-creative, I suppose, I need some inspiration from my surrounds to get the creative spirit in me running.

No comments: