Saturday, March 08, 2003

WAY TO GO...
(Part III)
A week after this, I was again rushing down a lane, which meets the Wind Tunnel
Road in a 'T-joint'. The lane was sloping, and I was thoroughly enjoying the
downhill ride, and it was only when I had come up to the main road that I
noticed that I was not the only person who liked to speed. Unfortunately, the
other guy was on a bike. Now, this guy was in no mood to slow down even though
we were straight on a collision course, and I figured out that I should probably
take evasive action for I would be the one to be worse of after the hit.

Some people may be able to cycle at top speed, swerve at a moment's notice, and
still be in perfect control, going exactly where they want to. I am not one of
them. I was cycling at top speed, and I swerved, but found out at once that I
was no longer in control. I could barely stay upright and let the cycle go where
it wanted to, which it did. The cycle missed the speeding bike, crossed the Wind
Tunnel road, straight across, and hit a scooter. (I was on the cycle all this
while!) The scooter was actually parked by the side of the road when I hit it. I
came to a dead halt still upright, all the momentum being transferred to the
scooter. It fell on its side, and the seat came off! A man emerged from a shop
nearby. Looking at the expression on his face, I could deduce easily that he was
the owner of the 'fallen' scooter! He wordlessly picked up his scooter, glared
at me, put the seat back on, sat on it and rode away! He didn't swear even once!
I was thrilled to come in contact with such a man (or rather his scooter).

I don't know which of the two incidents is responsible, but they left my cycle
unscarred except for the fact that the front wheel was now an ellipse instead of
a circle. The major and minor axes are almost too close to be identified
visually, but I can feel the effect from the gentle up and down swaying when I
roll down the slopes without pedalling.

No comments: