Friday, April 21, 2006

Rajkumar

I had posted a blog on the day Rajkumar passed away, but on further reflection, I found the post unsuitable for publication, so I removed it a day after publishing. Given the number of hits on the website in the 24 hours since I posted this article and before I removed it, several people must have read the post. So here is a brief explanation on why I removed it.

The whole incident where one person died of old age, and several thousand others, as a show of their grief, killed away 8 more, injured hundreds and damaged property worth millions, is of course ridiculous, outrageous, and many more –ous words. My feelings about the incident are still as strong at they were on the day all this happened. However, the post on the incident was more emotional than logical. And I pride myself to be a very logical person. In the same lines, I had accused a whole population of a crime which a handful had committed. So, I feel that the post does not deserve a place in this public blog.

I will post another article on the same issue, if I can get myself to type it out. This one will not have any emotional bantering and accusations.


And yes, although several people have read the post, I am removing it entirely on my own will. No one posted threatening comments, I received no threatening phone calls or sms-es, no one threatened to sue me, or burn IBM laptops in front of the IBM office, and no one promised to wipe away the Amazon rain-forest if I did not remove the post.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you think whole Rajkumar incident was a shame on the city and it’s people why don’t you dig little deep into it and get the facts/clear views. If you say you don’t have time for all this then I can say that’s escapism or say selective ignorance. It’s natural that people behaved in that manner, whether it’s politically motivated or expression of have nots or whatever. That may be their expression to defend their land/culture/language etc.
Again if you don’t defend/protect your home/land/culture/country in whatever way then what’s the purpose of the nation/government and democracy? It’s same as people like you protest regarding any discrimination when you go abroad or other states in India and only difference is people like you make it look like little bit more ethical by the help of supportive media.
I’m just guessing the content of that deleted blog post by reading your other entries about south India or Bangalore people. There is nothing called emotional or logical in this case, its just plain lack of respect for the land/people/language of the people you are breathing...

Somshubhra said...

First of all, you are welcome to criticize me, but you should have the guts to put your name down. What you have done above is just an act of cowardice.

Coming to the issue. Yes, the Rajkumar incident was a shame on the city. Everyone has a right to defend their land / culture / language. But one needs to find the correct way to do it. Harming others in terms of life or hard earned money or forcing others behaviour as a show of one's allegiance to one's culture / language is never an accepted behaviour.

As for "people like you protest regarding any discrimination when you go abroad or other states in India and only difference is people like you make it look like little bit more ethical by the help of supportive media", I don't see what your point is in the statement. How has protest against discrimination with the help of media got anything to do with vandalism & killing?

Anonymous said...

Me: First of all it’s not cowardice if I don’t mention my name here. If I mentioned it, do you consider that’s an act of a brave man in this faceless world of your’s?

--“Yes, the Rajkumar incident was a shame on the city.”—
Me: Shame on you for not appreciating Bangalore getting normal in just ONE day?
Are you an eternal pessimist?

--“Everyone has a right to defend their land / culture / language. But one needs to find the correct way to do it. Harming others in terms of life or hard earned money or forcing others behaviour as a show of one's allegiance to one's culture / language is never an accepted behaviour.”—
Me: It sounds perfectly sound statement when you write in this faceless manner. Have you seen or heard about strikes in Europe or western countries? Have you in the knows about the hurricane Katrina and the unfortunate consequences?
It’s very very easy to comment on others behaviour and it’s blatantly idiotic to comment on people / language / culture of not yours.
If you are so keenly observing people here who lack unblemished (Shubhra?) behaviour why don’t you try teaching your shubhra behaviour to as many people as you can? Do you like to do it? I guess you already framing your defending thoughts!
As I told you it’s dead easy, to murmur sitting in the dark corner.

--“I don't see what your point is in the statement. How has protest against discrimination with the help of media got anything to do with vandalism & killing?”--
Me: As I said in my comment that may be their expression of frustration of losing even unskilled jobs to outside people and discrimination against them in one way or the other. Try imagining headline on 14th April 2006 of TOI as “Built up frustration of the common man!” Can they? Or can you imagine TOI doing it apart from ONLY negative news about Bangalore and people here?


When you started your reply with that statement about name shows how much you are hell bent on defending whatever crap you have written.
Criticizing, if you consider it to be one, about whatever you said would be worthless blabbing. So carry on your blah blahs.