Thursday, June 10, 2004

Antz

Whenever I see a large group of ants gathering up somewhere around some small piece of eatable junk, or dead insect, the anticidal tendencies in me resurface and I feel an urge to stomp on the quivering black or red mass of antity.

I don't have anything personal against ants. I believe that individually, they are all very nice pleasant characters, capable of really hard work. In fact I respect them for that. And if I see a long line of ants crawling endlessly across a wall, I leave them well alone. It is only when I see a large number of them flocking together somewhere that I feel aggressive.

When a large number of ants flock together, they cease to be the nice peaceful characters that they otherwise are. This is because, in principle, they don't have any strong values or principles. They don't have any qualms about stealing or invading anyone's personal space. Whenever one leaves some foodstuff unguarded for a short period of time, they gather around and start 'borrowing'. In the communities they live in, nothing is personal. They follow communist principles more stringently than any man on earth.

I do not like my food 'borrowed'. Nor do I like to be crawled upon. And inevitably, whenever they gather somewhere, they crawl and trample over anything and anyone who steps near them. For this very reason, I don't like the idea of them flocking together. And I try to prevent them from doing that as much as I can.

Sometimes, when I am in a more sadistic mood, I drench them in a deluge of water. People say that ants swim well. They don't. They don't know the first thing about swimming. They just float in water. Maybe they are lightheaded. Whatever the reason, they just float in water, and thrash around. If they come close to the edge of the pool of water, I just blow on to them and they go back to the centre of the pool.

Animal rights activists will probably start aggressive campaigns against me upon reading this post. Like I care! I am a non-vegetarian, I don't give a damn if a poor chicken dies to become my food, why should I care about ants?

5 comments:

anant said...

Well, don't go about killing any baby ants or they'll sue you for inf-anticide.
And hey I am an ant too and I don't like this post at all!

Casey said...

Hey, you do what I do, too. Lol. I sometimes go to my gramp's garden, spill a few drops of something sweet, and then use water to drown the ants which had gathered.

Sadistic, yeah. Haha.

Somshubhra said...

Thankfully, not many lizards around here. Or cockroaches for that matter. Cos, I sleep on the floor.

Mr/Ms Ant, you could have left your name. Well, thankfully, they don't let their babies out of their dens / holes, otherwise, they all would have been ant-iquated by now!

I bow to thee, Ms. Casey! You are much superior to me in the art of anticide! To spill sugar as a bait...

Casey said...

Ah, thank you, thank you, Mr Som.! I am a genius! :P

But I like lizards, especially the baby house lizards. I catch them and play with them (poor things). Earthworms are all right, and so are *baby* cockroaches. I'll kill the adult ones. :D

Anonymous said...

Yikes... playing with baby lizards... revolting...