Thursday, March 25, 2004

They say you are bound to get jet lag. They say the culture shock is BI-IG! They say it is difficult to get used to the accent or understand conversations easily, at least for the first few days. They say a lot of things. Not one is correct! 

Of course everything is quite impressive. The fast cars, the clean roads, the use of technology (!) everywhere. But somehow, it doesn't appear to be alien, as it logically should have. Maybe because of the large number of English movies that we watch, or maybe because of the ten straight seasons (>200 episodes) of Friends that we have seen over the past couple of months, the American culture was quite easily acceptable. 

The journey was quite boring. I slept off most of the ten hour flight from Bangalore to Frankfurt, another ten hour one from Frankfurt to Denver, and a couple of hours from Denver to Dallas. The four hour wait at Frankfurt was even more boring, specially since I couldn't find a place to sit and sleep! I had to clear immigration and customs at Denver, and flew domestic upto Dallas. The immigration officer at the Denver International was really friendly, and gave me one and a half months stay permit while I had asked for only a month! (I actually intend to return much before that.) 

Parag and Avinash from office were there at the airport to pick me up. It was 9:30 PM. We went to a diner (forgot the name), where I had a turkey sandwich. Maybe because I was really famished, it tasted delicious. After dinner, we came to the hotel, where I checked in. 

Since then, all the places I have been to in Dallas is the hotel, a couple of restaurants, and the n TI offices and buildings in Dallas. Work has been slightly hectic till evening. The positive side is that people are really impressed when you can solve their bugs (albeit, simple ones!) for them!! I find American food quite apetizing, and free of oils and spices. But a big source of calories. Thankfully I don't care much about calories!

No comments: